Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Enchanted with Provence

Just after the first day in Provence I realized that was the right place to hang out for almost my entire time I have left in France. As beautiful as Rhône-Alpes, but in a different way. Ever-present sun, blaze of colors, stretching vineyards and tiny houses. One of the marvels that I discovered was Fontaine-de-Vaucluse. The surrounding region has a very interesting hydrography - it features the strangest ever source of a full-flowing river, appearing from under a tremendous rock cliff.


The water in a deep pool seems still, and it's unbelievable that just after a few meters it turns into something so powerful. The white water rapids crash down over black rocks, covered with dark green moss.Below the rapids the river extends and becomes tamed by numerous dams and waterwheels. Walking around the village, you can see water is everywhere, deep, clear, its color emerald green. I trespass on some private chemins and discover more and more ways to see the water. From every angle the view is truly amazing. I have no doubt I want to stay in Provence for as much as I can, and no doubt that I'll be back


What I'll remember most about Fontaine-de-Vaucluse is three colors: emerald green water, sand cliffs and pink blossoming trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment